Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Wear all the babies!


Here is my take on babywearing... I'm a little OBSESSED to say the least. I'ts great for those days you or your baby just wanna snuggle, the days you need to get things done but your insanely cute, but needy, baby wont lay on the floor for more than two minutes, or the days you dont want to lug and push a big bulky stroller around. Doesn't at least one of those three things happen every day? So just face it, babywearing is great every day! I constantly et stopped in the grocery store and people ask me what kind of contraption i have my son in, we get looked at like we're crazy, and we also get the occasional rude comment like "your son is so spoiled, he's never gonna learn towalk if he's always in that 'thing'." Well, despite the mixed feelings and reactions, Milo LOVES to be worn. I have been wearing him since he was about a week old, he loved it then and he continues to love it!
Random fact... Baby worn in a FWCC (front wrap cross carry) is considered tummy time! For all you mama's who have baby's who arent a huge fan of tummy time, this is a great alternative. Because really, who wants to force their child to lay on their stomach when CLEARLY they hate it, and you are supposed to sit there and watch them be miserable... no thanks!
So, you may be wondering where i heard of or saw babywearing to begin with. My aunt is the one to blame for my insane obsession with woven wraps and babywearing in general. She got me started and from there I did my research, found what i liked and what worked for both me and the baby, and i worked on different carries and found what worked for me. I have three types of carries. a SSC (soft structured carrier), ring slings, and woven wraps in various sizes.

SSC- I have the Beco Gemini. It's pretty comfortable, easy to use, and can carry a few different ways. Let's be honest though, i have only used it once or twice. It isn't my go-to carrier.

RS- LOVE THEM. I have two, they are both NatiBaby woven ring slings. There are absolutely perfect for that quick store run or around the house if you aren't bending over a lot. They are easy to pack in the diaper bag because they aren't bulky like the SSC and they arent a mile long like a woven wrap. Super easy to use, you put it on like a sash, pop baby in, tighten your rails and you're on your merry way!

Woven wraps- I have a few wovens, they're my addiction. They come in sizes 1-9. Depending on your body type and what type of carries you want to do will determine what size wrap you would need. A size 5 or 6 is my base size for a standard FWCC or a reinforced ruck back carry.
Wovens can be pretty spendy but average between $100-$200. As of right now I have a size 7 NatiBaby Tattooed and a size 4 Kokadi Blue Scales that was professionally dyed to be purple and turquoise. In just a few short days I will also be the owner of a Lenny Lamb Day of the Dead which i am super stoked about! Anyways, I love wovens because, not only are they pretty, but, they distribute the weight of the baby evenly through your body so your back isnt dead after youve been carrying baby for an extended period of time. I use them around the house a lot so i can get laundry done, dinner made, etc. But the absolute best thing about wovens, or any carrier for the matter, is the SLEEPY DUST. I swear its like magic. If Milo is fighting his sleep, i wrap him up and he is out like a light in a matter of minutes. it has been a life saver many, many times.

The moral of the story is that I am a babywearing junkie and I want to spend all mu hubby's hard earned money on baby carriers!
Below are some links to a few sites I would buy from or use as an educational reference point. Enjoy!

http://paxbaby.com/
http://www.thebabywearer.com/
http://sakurabloombabyslings.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/educate-proper-infant-positioning-in-a-baby-sling/

If any of you are interested in more info about babywearing, there is a group of wonderful ladies on Facebook. The Group is called Babywearing love & support. If you would like to buy baby carriers, there is another group on Facebook called The babywearing swap.

HAPPY BABYWEARING!

No comments:

Post a Comment